You will be discussing what you feel are the most significant, the most pressing and/or the most challenging people, circumstances, thoughts or behaviors to you in your life. Dr. Menendez asks all her patients to the best of their abilities to:
- Speak as openly and as honestly as they can about all of their feelings and emotions.
- Be open about discussing times when they might be or may have been avoiding unpleasant thoughts or feelings
- Be willing to explore patterns and recurring themes in their lives.
- Be interested in looking at their past and history especially in their early life relationships.
- Be curious and interested in looking at how they relate to important others in their lives
- Be willing to discuss how they are feeling about their therapist and their therapy.
- Be open to discussing thoughts, feeling or actions no matter how insignificant or fantastical they might seem.
Due to the nature of the the psychotherapeutic process itself, it is common for uncomfortable feelings and thoughts to emerge. These feelings are best dealt with through their exploration in your sessions. At all times, Dr. Menendez invites her patients to let her know how they feel the treatment is going.